George W. Williams
A good position among the farmers and stock-raisers of Waterford Township is occupied by the gentleman above named, whose well-regulated estate consists of two hundred and thirty-five acres on sections 12 and 13. The success which he has met with has been the result of his personal efforts, aided by the good management of a prudent wife, and his career may well be taken as an example worthy of consideration by those who begin in life without worldly means. He was denied the educational advantages which boys of the present day enjoy, his early life having been passed in this county when it was yet considered a frontier region. In later life, however, he endeavored to supply by judicious reading and accurate observation the deficiencies of his mental training, and has succeeded in becoming very well posted upon all topics of general interest.
George W. Williams, Sr., father of our subject, was born in New York in 1794, and was well educated in his youth. Upon attaining manhood he studied medicine and became a successful practicing physician. In 1829 he came to this State, and in 1830 was united in marriage with Miss Lois Francis, who was born in Massachusetts in 1808. She came to this State with her parents in 1829. Immediately after their marriage the young couple located in Auburn, this county, where the husband practiced medicine and kept an hotel until 1835, when, Pontiac becoming the county-seat, lie removed thither. He engaged in various pursuits, was president of a local bank, speculated in land, built mills at Clintonville and the village of Waterford, and became very closely identified with the progress of the county. Toward the close of his life lie bought a farm in Waterford Township, to which he devoted considerable attention. His death, in 1845, removed an honored and well-known citizen from the community.
Of the five children born to Dr. Williams and his wife, only two now survive, our subject and his brother, Charles F., who lives in California. The mother passed from earth in 1879. George W., of this sketch, was born in Pontiac, March 11, 1836, and was reared to manhood in that city, where he attended the High School, making his home with his uncle. Three years after his father's death he removed to the farm, and here he has since lived, making his home with his mother. In connection with farming he very soon began dealing in stock and grain, and has become a very successful stock-dealer. So greatly has his reputation extended that he has frequently been offered a large salary by Eastern stockmen if he would give his whole time to the business for them, but he prefers to work for himself. During the late war he bought a large number of horses for the Government.
In 1882 Mr. Williams was united in marriage with Alice, daughter of James and Ann (Ainslie) Young, natives of Scotland and New York respectively. Mrs. Williams received an excellent education at Hannibal, Mo., and of her happy wedded life one child has been born, a son-George Roy, now seven years old. In the exercise of his calling Mr. Williams has acquired a handsome competence and now has as cozy and attractive a home as may be found in the township. His personal worth and kindly manners have gained him a high place in the regard of the whole community.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Oakland County, Michigan. Chicago: Chapman Bros., 1891.