Here is one of "Nature's noblemen" in the true sense of the word, and the term is not applied in flattery. From a neighbor we have heard the sentiment expressed, which is acquiesced in by all, that a1 the community is thrice blessed which has within it such a man as he." Mr. Woodward was born in the town of Columbia, Connecticut, November 19, 1817. His father, Asahel Woodward, was also a native of Connecticut, and in 1825 removed with his family to the town of Chili, Monroe county, New York. Lysander Woodward is one of a family of ten children, of whom five are now living. In the fall of the year 1838 he emigrated to Michigan, and made his home at Rochester, Oakland County. Nearly five years afterwards he made a permanent location where he now resides, on section 10, Avon township. He is also the owner of lands in sections 3 and 11, the total amount being about four hundred and twenty-five acres.
May 11, 1843, he was married to Peninah A. Simpson, then living in Rochester, to which place she had removed in 1841. She is a native of Tompkins county, New York, having been born near Ithaca on the 13th of April, 1825. Mr. and Mrs.Woodward are the parents of seven children,-two sons and five daughters. All are living -two at home. The oldest son, Robert S. Woodward, has for several years been employed by the United States government on the lake survey. Mrs. Woodward's father, Robert Simpson, emigrated from the State of New Jersey to Tompkins county, New York, about 1823-24, and died in the latter county. His widow removed with her six children to Michigan in 1841. The farm now owned by Mr. Woodward was considered too poor to raise respectable crops, and was not purchased from government until within a few years of the time he occupied it. By a judicious system of farming, and extensive labor he has brought it to its present state of perfection, and is continually improving it.
Mr. Woodward is in politics a Republican, and has held numerous important offices in the gift of the people. The office of justice of the peace has been creditably filled by him, and be has several times been elected supervisor of the township, which latter position he holds at present. In 1860 he was elected to the representative branch of the legislature from. the first district of Oakland County, and served during one regular term and two extra sessions. From 1866 to 1870 he occupied the office of county treasurer, having been twice elected. For three years lie was president of the Oakland County agricultural society Mr. Woodward was among the first to conceive and advocate the building of the Detroit and Bay City railway, and spent much tilde and money in its construction. He was chosen the first president of the company in 1871, and held that office for two years. In his present home Mir. Woodward has expended much time and money to beautify and adorn the premises, and as a result he is pleasantly situated, and can look with pride on his handiwork. Here, in his age, with a refined and loving family around him, may he live yet many years, and enjoy the bounties of life as only such men as he can. His record is one which will bear the strongest scrutiny and come from the test unscathed, and bearing even greater lustre.
Source: History of Oakland County, Michigan by Durant, Samuel W. Philadelphia: L. H. Everts & co., 1877.